Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions or my 2009 To Do List

Okay, now that 2009 is officially here, it’s time for the resolutions. There’s something energizing about a shiny new year stretched out in front of me, all ready to be filled in.

The resolution part works for me too. I like lists and tracking goals. I enjoy checking off things accomplished and contemplating the yet to be finished. For me, the act of taking time to think about and then write about is a huge step toward actually getting something done. Posting it on my blog for others to see will help me hold myself more accountable. At least I think so.

So, here’s my list.

1 Lose Weight. It wouldn’t be a new year without this one right? This year I have a plan. This is all about adopting a healthier lifestyle. I know I need to. I know what to do. I’m all out of excuses, so there’s nothing else to do but follow through.

2 Meet at least one new person a week. This came about as part of the #fastfriends idea. (see previous post) I actually meet new people all the time but I decided to make a more conscious effort to really connect, if just for a short while, with someone I don’t know. I don’t have any more of an agenda except to say I think this will be fun and I’m looking forward to it.

3 Do something new every month. I don’t know exactly how this popped in my head. I think as we get older and more settled in our lives, we stop doing new things. Think about it. When was the last time you did something that you have NEVER done before? I don’t have lots of rules, so going to a new restaurant could qualify I guess, but that’s not in the spirit of what I’m going for. I really want to end up with at least 12 brand new experiences. I’m open to suggestions so, if you have any…. Please let me know!

4 Write every day.

5 Send a hand written note to people that help, inspire, impress or for any old reason. I’ve always done this a little and just want to do more of it. It makes me feel good and that’s reason enough.

6 Stay organized. I am good at starting this one, but fall short on the follow up. I love the part about list making, file folders and sorting, but the daily keeping up bores me and I lose interest. And it shows.

7 Make sure the people in my life know how much they mean to me. This is on my list every year too since it’s a work in progress.

Well, that does it. Since I like making lists I originally had several more things written down but decided to keep it short. For me, resolutions should push me a little and the above list does that for me. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

I’d love to hear your list. What do you hope to do or be or have in 2009?

2 comments:

Dieverdog said...

I haven't gotten together a concrete list yet, but it would go something like this:
1. exercise more (ie. some) to lose weight and TRY to eat healthier foods (drink more water, less pop) I always say I should do these things but don't as often as I ought

2. journal more (I have a boatload of cool books on journaling that I read and drool over but don't do so much of myself...time to dive in more often)

3. blog more about what I create!

4. go to lunch with someone new from work at least twice a month (that's a realistic goal) lots of people I like at work but don't know all that well...

that's enough for starters! I'm a big fan of not overwhelming myself with too much pressure! There's usually enough of that to go 'round without my help! Good luck with yours... maybe like Weight Watchers we should "weigh in" and keep each other supported in our efforts?

Phyllis Nichols said...

Thanks! I agree about not getting overwhemed. Adding new things to our already hectic lives is a challenge without trying to over do it.

I'm open to keeping each other accountable. It helps that's for sure!

I'd love to learn more about what you create so let me know as you blog more!! Looking forward to it.